Excerpt from Enjoying Exodus: The Bible in Rhyme by Marcia Goldlist
Aaron and his sons and their future generations are to wash their hands and feet before serving God.
- What does spiritual cleansing mean?
- Do you think that the washing was used for a physical or spiritual cleaning?
- Washing before serving would have been a ritual.
- What is ritual?
- How could a ritual help people concentrate on their job?
- Give as many reasons as you can for why washing hands and feet would be important?
- Why would the feet and hands be picked for cleansing?
Activities for Homeschool and Afterschool:
- Research how water cleans.
- Research a ritual from another cultural that you didn’t know about before.
- Write a diary entry for the water about how it felt being used to wash the hands and face of Aaron and his sons.
- Write a comic strip featuring the hands and feet talking to each other during the washing ritual.
- Write a tweet or a blog post for a descendant of Aaron being washed for the first time.
- How do you think Aaron’s thoughts would differ from that of a descendant while being washed for the first time?
- Research ways to wash yourself when there is no water available.
- See how many different things you can find that water is good for.