The children of Israel are told by God that they are not to cause pain to widows or orphans.
- Why would widows and orphans be considered special?
- Is it okay to cause pain to people who are not widows or orphans?
- What kind of things do people do that cause you pain?
- When is it acceptable to cause someone pain? Make a list of at least 5 circumstances.
- List at least 5 reasons that the Bible would single out widows and orphans.
- The only difference between window and widow is an ‘n’. Find similarities between the two.
- Should we have to be told not to cause pain to someone or should this be automatic? Explain.
- Should a person who was wronged or hurt complain? Explain.
- If a person who was wronged or hurt does not complain is s/he somewhat to blame if someone else is hurt by the same perpetrator?
- Why would God not just tell the children of Israel not to cause pain to anyone?
- God links the widow and orphan to the children of Israel because they were slaves in Egypt (which was a foreign land). What is the relationship between being slaves in a foreign land and being a widow or an orphan?
- Why do you think some people complain more than others?
- Make a list of five rules for the children of Israel to follow to make it easier for them not to hurt a widow or an orphan.