Moses admonished the children of Israel not to forget the day that God took them out of Egypt.
Discussion Regarding Remembering Specific Days:
- What is a holiday?
- Why would Moses tell the children of Israel to remember the day that God took them out of Egypt?
- Name some holidays and their origins.
Creative Thinking About Special Days:
- Describe what it would be like if there were no special days in the year.
- If you could create a holiday what would it be called and what would its purpose be?
Homeschooling Activities for Everyone – Homeschooled or Not:
- If we didn’t have holidays like Passover or Christmas, do you think that people would think about their origins? Defend your answer.
- Do you think that most people think about the origins of holidays, or just how they are celebrated?
- Why is it important to remember things that happened in the past?
- How does our memory work?
- What are the similarities and differences between our memory and the memory of a computer?
- Why is it important to mark specific days?
- What is the origin of the word holiday? Would the original name still be appropriate? Why or why not?
- Make a chart with two sides and write down points for why the children of Israel would remember leaving Egypt longer because Moses told them to remember the day and a side with reasons why the children of Israel would have remembered the day just the same had Moses not said anything.