Pharaoh decided that in order to keep the children of Israel under his control he would order the midwives who attended to the births of the Hebrews (children of Israel) to kill all of the baby boys. He let the baby girls live.
Discuss with your children or students:
- What is a midwife?
- Why would Pharaoh give his decree to the midwives?
- What are the benefits to Pharaoh of killing the baby boys but letting the girls live?
- What would have been the benefit to Pharaoh of killing the baby girls but letting the boys live?
- Think of another way that Pharaoh could have controlled the children of Israel.
- Midwives are used in many countries today instead of doctors to deliver babies. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a midwife?
- Write a formal law by order of Pharaoh that every baby boy should be killed.
- Write a journal entry of a midwife for the children of Israel after hearing the new decree.
- Create a billboard from Pharaoh’s palace about the new law.
- Do you think that Pharaoh told everyone the new law or did he try and keep it secret by only telling the midwives for the children of Israel?
- What would be the benefit of telling everyone the law?
- What would be the benefit of only telling the midwives for the children of Israel?
- Why do you think that Pharaoh didn’t just outlaw the children of Israel from having babies?
- Write a protest letter from the children of Israel to Pharaoh protesting the decree.
- Who do you think would sign the letter?
- Write a secret letter to circulate among the children of Israel of ways to get around the new decree.