- In the Bible, Joseph swore to his father that he would take his body to Israel (which was known as Canaan at the time).
- Olympians swear to themselves and their country to do their best at whichever sport they perform.
- I have taken upon myself to strive for excellence in my writing, for this blog and in my books.
Joseph promised his father that he would take his body to Israel. He had to get Pharaoh’s permission and he did.
Olympians work very hard at their sport. They give up a lot of private time to work hard to make themselves, their country, coaches, and family proud. Sometimes they receive medals and sometimes they come home disappointed.
I have worked hard to write several books of the Bible in rhyme. My latest book is Enjoying the Book of Esther: The Bible in Rhyme. This is the book of Esther all in rhyme. I have decided to put this book up on an Indiegogo campaign. I hope that you will take a look and support my efforts!
Discuss with your children:
- When do we need permission from people to do something?
- Is it better to do something for yourself or for someone else?
- If you could choose to be good enough at a sport to go to the Olympics which sport would you choose?
- Would you be willing to spend the time needed to practice for the Olympics?
- Come up with as many reasons as you can for why Pharaoh would or would not let all the people go to bury Joseph.
- Joseph promised his father that he would bury him in the cave in Israel. Write what you think it means to promise someone something?
- What do you think it means to promise yourself something?
- What do the Olympic athletes promise themselves?
- If you were one of Pharaoh’s advisers would you support Joseph and his family taking Jacob’s body to Israel or not? Why?
- How would you feel if you received permission to go to the Olympics?
- Do you think that this is the same type of feeling as Joseph had when he received permission to take Jacob’s body to Israel? Why or why not?
- Do you think that it was hard for Joseph to ask Pharaoh for permission to take Jacob’s body to Israel? Describe in some way (through a dialogue, a cartoon, a comic strip, play, journal) the internal discussion that Joseph had with himself.
- Sometimes it is hard to focus on what we have to do. This is one of the important things that Olympic athletes must do – focus on their sport. In order to write my books, I have to put away time and focus on my work. Joseph had to focus on his promise and ask Pharaoh to let him take Jacob’s body to Israel. What would you like to focus on in your life? Pick something that you would like to focus on and make a realistic plan to help you.