The time had come for Israel, Jacob, to die. Knowing what was happening to him, Jacob called for Joseph so that he could say good-bye.
Discuss with your children:
- The fact that everyone dies. We are sad, but this is something that happens to everyone.
- Because we will die it is important to use our time well on earth.
- Israel had two names: Israel and Jacob. What would be the reason for calling him Israel here and not Jacob?
- We know that everyone will die, yet we are still surprised and very sad when someone dies, even if they are old. Why is this?
- Write a letter from Jacob, Israel, explaining why he called to see Joseph at this time and not any of his other sons.
- Go through the book of Genesis and record all of the times that Joseph was favored over Jacob’s other children.
- If, God forbid, you were dying, who would you especially like to say good-bye to?
- What would you say?
- Write a diary entry from one of the other brothers explaining how they feel that Joseph was called in to see Jacob, and no one else was.
- If you were a broadcaster on TV and heard that Jacob was dying and he called in Joseph to say good-bye, what would you report on the news?
- Write a newspaper article about the life of Jacob.
- Write a biography about Jacob.
- Write a tweet telling people about the latest news that Jacob is dying.
- Write a tweet telling people about the latest news that Jacob is dying and that he called in Joseph to say good-bye.