The people were hungry and wanted to buy more food from Joseph, but they had already spent all of their money. Joseph allowed them to now bring their livestock instead of money to pay for the food.
Discuss with your children:
- Why we use money to pay for things.
- Why would the people agree to bring their livestock to Joseph to buy food?
- Discuss all the things that your children receive from you. Do they pay for any of these things or do they do anything which is as “payment”?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the barter system?
- Research the barter system and when it stopped being used.
- Many groups around the world now try to use the barter system. Create a billboard for joining a group using the barter system.
- What is convenient about using money?
- What is not convenient about using money?
- Research how money is made.
- Create a new bill to be used for money.
- Write a diary entry, poem, or song from one of the livestock explaining what they felt about being used for payment.
- Draw a picture of some of the livestock that would have been given to Joseph.
- Why was paying with livestock a win-win situation?
- Write a diary entry for someone who brought their livestock as payment to Joseph.
Take a look at my countdown specials on Amazon December 26th to January 1st. The price goes up every day so grab them now!
Two great books to have around your home or to give as gifts!