Benjamin is accused of stealing Joseph’s silver cup. Judah offers to accept the punishment for Benjamin, because he is afraid of what would happen to their father, Jacob, if Benjamin did not return with them.
Discuss with your children:
- Did they ever take a punishment for someone else?
- If yes why did they do it?
- Is this right to do?
- Have they ever been asked to take someone’s punishment and refused? If so why?
- Think of all of the reasons that you can for someone to take the punishment for someone else.
- Think of one or two instances where the court system might allow someone to take a punishment for someone else.
- Think of a suitable punishment for someone who willing took a punishment for someone else, without the law knowing.
- Judah tells Joseph that he will accept the punishment for Benjamin. Write what you think Benjamin thinks about this.
- Write a diary entry for Joseph explaining his reaction to Judah offering to accept the punishment for Benjamin.
- If Jacob, their father, were there what would his reaction be to Judah offering to accept the punishment for Benjamin?
- Prepare a defense for before a judge giving legal reasons why someone should be able to accept a punishment for someone else.
- Prepare a case for the other side arguing why this should not be allowed.
- Write a phone conversation between Judah and his father, Jacob, as you think it would be if Judah phoned to ask Jacob if he should take the punishment for Benjamin.