When it was time to eat, Joseph had his brothers sit in order of their ages. The brothers were astounded. They did not know if this was coincidence or Joseph somehow knew their ages and for some reason planned the seating arrangement.
Discuss with your children:
- Can you think of something that happened to you or someone that you know that was a bit spooky?
- What was spooky about the incident?
- Did you ever find out what really happened?
- Think of all the different explanations that there could be for the brothers being seated according to age.
- Make a list of reasons that Joseph would have for seating his brothers according to age.
- There are many quotes about coincidences. Look them up and pick out two that you really like. What do you like about them? What do they mean?
- Write a story about something weird happening that you cannot explain.
- Write a diary entry explaining what Benjamin thought when he saw his brothers were all sitting according to age.
- Write a diary entry explaining what Joseph was thinking when he saw all his brothers sitting according to age.
- What would the table that the brothers were sitting around think about the scene?
- The brothers looked at each other. Facial expression can tell a lot without words. Draw the face of one or two brothers.
- We use facial muscles to make different expressions. Research facial muscles.
- Interview Joseph about his plan and why he wanted his brothers to sit according to age.
Take a look at Marcia Goldlist’s author page for more interesting books!