When Potifar heard his wife’s accusation he put Joseph into prison. He did not send him to trial or talk to him first.
Discuss with your children:
- Have they ever falsely accused someone?
- Is it right to listen to only one side of a disagreement?
- Have you ever been punished for something that you did not do?
- How did it make you feel?
- Could you do anything about it?
- Think of 5 things that Joseph could do to try and not be punished by Potiphar.
- What are 5 things that you can do if you are punished for something that you did not do?
- Think of at least 5 things that you should do before you accuse someone of doing something wrong.
- Write Joseph’s defense in court.
- Write a diary entry for Joseph when he heard that he was being sent to prison.
- Research the history of prisons.
- Make a flow chart of what happens to a person from the time that they are charged with a crime until they would end up being charged and sent to prison.
- Explain why Potifar would put Joseph in prison without giving him a trial.
- Research someone else in history who was innocent but was put into prison.
- Design a poster for Joseph to put up in his neighborhood explaining that he is not guilty.
- If you were a TV newsperson and were allowed five questions to ask Joseph about what happened what would they be?
- How do you think that Joseph would answer?
- Write a newspaper article about Joseph going to prison.