After being with Laban for many years Jacob finally left with his wives and children to go back to the land of his father and grandfather. He had gone to Laban to get a wife and to separate from his brother, Esau, who wanted to kill him. Now after 20 years he was told that his brother was coming towards him with 400 men. Jacob was afraid and had to decide what to do. He decided to split his family and livestock into two groups.
Discuss with your children:
- What do you do when you believe that someone wants to fight you?
- Jacob was afraid that his brother would still be angry with him after 20 years. What kind of things do you stay angry at even after a long time?
- Think of all the possible responses that Jacob could have had in his situation.
- Think of the possible motives that Esau could have for coming with 400 men.
Home School Activities
- Take inventory of your possessions and divide them into two or three groups according to their importance to you.
- Consider giving away those things which don’t mean so much to you anymore.
- Research what happens inside your body when you get scared.
- Write a blog entry for Jacob when he heard that his brother was approaching with 400 men.
- Write a journal entry for Esau when he heard that his brother Jacob was returning.
- Write an impartial newspaper article about the event.
- Write a play or comic strip of a discussion that might take place among the men which went with Esau.
- If Jacob could text a message to Esau when he heard about him coming with the 400 men what would he text?
- If Esau could text a message to Jacob that he was coming what would he text?