Abraham was asked to pay four hundred silver shekels for the land that he wanted. We know that this was a high price. So, not only did Abraham not accept land for free but he knowingly overpaid for the land that he wanted.
Discuss with your children circumstances that could motivate someone to pay a high price for something.
- Make a list of things that you would be willing to pay a high price for.
- For each item think of the reason that you would be willing to pay a lot.
- Why is it a common practice to bargain over the price of a house but not over something that is bought in a store?
- Give a class/lecture on what sets market value.
- Write a journal entry for Ephron explaining how he felt after Abraham agreed to his price without even bargaining.
- Write about the art of bargaining. Why do some people like it and others hate it?
- Make a list of things that are considered valuable worldwide.
- Make a commercial to convince people to buy something at a high price.
- Write an explanation that Abraham would give someone as to why he paid Ephron such a high price for the land in Hebron without even bargaining.