Stop the Presses!!
Circumcision was first in the news when it became part of an agreement between Abraham and God. Abraham accepted upon himself and all of his descendants that every baby boy descended from him would be circumcised at 8 days old. Abraham was 99 and Ishmael was 13 when this was first implemented and they were circumcised.
Circumcision is again in the news. There are a few European countries who want to ban circumcision.
- Have you ever made a promise?
- Did you keep your end of the promise?
- Was it ever hard to keep the promise?
- Do you think that promises are important to keep?
- Do you believe that countries should be able to ban something which many people believe was part of an agreement with God?
- Should a country be allowed to tell you what you are or are not allowed to do to your child?
- What would you do if your country did not allow you to pierce your child’s ears?
- What would you do if your country did not allow you to homeschool?
- Are these different cases than circumcision?
- Research other times and places in history that circumcision was banned.
- Write a legal agreement between Abraham and God.
- Create a commercial or billboard explaining why people should keep their promises.
- Write a letter to the German government explaining why you agree or disagree with them wanting to ban circumcision.
- Write a letter to your son explaining why you would be willing to break the law to circumcise him if you were/because you are Jewish or Muslim.
- Write a letter to your son explaining why you would not be willing to break the law to circumcise him.