Thinking About Money In The Book of Genesis
In chapter 14 of the Book of Genesis there was a war with four kings against five. Abraham heard that Lot had been taken prisoner and he and his followers attacked. They took Lot and all the possessions that had been taken and brought them back to Sodom, where Lot had been living. The king of Sodom asked Abraham if he would let all the people that he had rescued stay in Sodom and offered that he could take away all of the property that he had won back in the war. Abraham refused and explained that he did not want to take anything at all because he did not want the king to be able to say that he had made Abraham rich.
- How many people do you know of (from stories or your own lives) that might even consider not taking possessions that they could legitimately take?
- Why do you think that so many people think money is the most important thing in life?
- How many people do you know of (from stories or your own lives) who would go to help someone out without expecting or wanting to get any reward?
- What could Abraham’s reasons be for wanting it clear that anything he had was not from the king of Sodom?
- Consider the kind of people they were
- Who Abraham believed helped him
- How the goods were taken
- Name things in your life that are more important than money and possessions.
- List things that you feel are worth fighting for (fighting does not have to be physical).
- Design a billboard for the main street in your town/city explaining to people why possessions are not the most important thing in life, or why something specific is the most important thing in life.
- Create the dialogue that you think Abraham had with the king of Sodom telling him why he would not take the possessions which he won in the war.
- Create a dialogue that the king of Sodom had with a friend after Abraham told him he didn’t want anything. What would they say about Abraham?
- If Abraham took the time to make a list of pros and cons for taking the possessions, what would the list look like?
- Write a tweet telling people about the war and that Abraham didn’t take any of the possessions.
- Look up other homeschooling project ideas.