After Jacob woke up and realized that God was in the spot where he slept he made a decision that if God proved to be with him and safeguard him he would give back to God a tenth of whatever he got as payment.
Discuss with your children:
- What is debt?
- What debt do your children think that they owe to:
- Their parents
- Their grandparents
- Their community
- How is giving to God the same and how is it different than giving to:
- A charity
- Your community
- Make a list of things which you are thankful for.
- Make a list of ways that you can give back to your community and/or to your parents.
- Jacob decided to give one tenth of what he earned to God. Take an inventory of your belongings and decide what one tenth of your belongings would be.
- Make a note of everything that you receive in the next month (gifts and money such as allowance) and put away one tenth of what you receive. Consider donating that one tenth to charity.
- Make a circle diagram or a cake and divide it into ten pieces. Mark off one tenth.
- Investigate 10 charities in your community. Look into these charities. Pick the one which means the most to you and do one or more of the following:
- Write a brochure for this charity.
- Make a radio or television commercial to try and get people to give money or volunteer for this charity.
- Volunteer some of your time to your favorite charity.
- Donate some of your money to your favorite charity.
- Make a list of things to which you owe God thanks.
- Jacob realized how much help God was giving him. Pick someone who has helped you in your life and write them a thank you letter.
- Jacob felt he owed God a debt. Make a gift and give it to someone who you feel you owe a debt of thanks.